What is the Big Latch On?
It is a celebration held annually over two days during World Breastfeeding Week (August 1st – 7th). This year the Big Latch On takes place on August 4th and 5th. It is an event that aims to protect, promote & support breastfeeding families.
It endeavors to do this by:
- Providing support for communities to identify and grow opportunities to provide on-going breastfeeding support and promotion locally.
- Raising awareness of breastfeeding support and knowledge available locally and globally.
- Helping communities positively support breastfeeding in public places.
- Making breastfeeding a normal part of day-to-day life at a local community level.
- Increasing support for women who breastfeed – women are supported by their partners, family and their communities.
- Ensuring communities have the resources to advocate for coordinated appropriate and accessible breastfeeding support services.
Each location of the event holds a latch count each day at 10:30am. Last year there were over 17,000 mothers and children recorded breastfeeding! It is an amazing place for a new mom to see such an outreach of support in her local community.
Breastfeeding my daughter at a
Big Latch On event in 2012
I attended a Big Latch On when my daughter was six months old. It was a wonderful day of camaraderie, meeting new friends and getting a fun goody bag
Momzelle is a proud partner of the Big Latch On for the third straight year. Find an event near you and keep your eye out for a treat from us in your swag bag!
Where will you be attending a Big Latch On? We would love to hear how many participants were at your event!
Happy World Breastfeeding Week!